DeadlineAll entries must be received through Smithsonian.com by 5:00 PM Eastern Standard Time on November 30, 2017.
Who may enter
The competition is open to photographers who are 18 years old or older.
The contest is organised by Smithsonian.com Magazine.
This contest is divided into 6 categories:
- Natural World: Animals, plants and landscapes; geological or climatological features; and scientific processes and endeavours.
- Travel: Locales, peoples or activities in the United States and abroad that convey a sense of place.
- People: Portraits and photos of groups or individuals.
- The American Experience: Events, objects or activities connecting the American people to their history or their cultural heritage; photographs that tell us what it means to be an American and provide a sense of what it is like to live in this country.
- Altered Images: Photographs manipulated for artistic purposes by applying digital and/or traditional special effects (i.e., colourizing, toning, collage, photo composites, HDR, etc.).
- Mobile: Any photograph taken with a mobile device (phone or tablet).
To be eligible for any category, a photograph must have been shot by the entrant since January 1, 2015.
Photographs that have won other major photo contests, either online or in print, as determined by the Smithsonian, are not eligible for submission.
Entry is free.
- Grand Prize: $2,500.
- The winners of each of the six categories will receive $500.
- Readers' Choice Winner: $500.
Please visit www.smithsonianmag.com/photocontest to learn more about the competition.