A cooperation agreement was signed between AICAT and Tel Aviv University, initiating a program of studies toward a Masters degree in Plant Biology with an emphasis in Food Safety & Security at Tel Aviv University. The courses will take place in both the Arava and Tel Aviv, in partnership with AICAT. Graduates of this program will receive a fully accredited MSc degree in Plant Biology with an emphasis in Food Safety and Security from Tel Aviv University. The program is intended for students with relevant BSc degrees from recognized universities all over the world.
The program will be held over four semesters, with most of the studies physically taking place in the Arava. The summer semester will be an intensive session given in Tel Aviv. For most of the year, the students will live on farms in the Arava region where they will be able to gain hands-on experience 2-3 days per week, as part of their internship arrangement for tuition assistance.
The program will work in close cooperation with the Agricultural Research and Development Center (at the Yair R&D Station). Some of the lecturers will be researchers from the Center and students will conduct their practicum research with the assistance of R&D researchers. The program will be academically supervised by Tel Aviv University and is of an equivalent level to the Hebrew-speaking program. Many of the programs’ lecturers are tenured faculty members of Tel Aviv University.
- October 2017: Arrival to Israel
- October 2017 - February 2018: Preparatory Semester
Preparatory studies in Arava with a focus on:
Improving English abilities
Refresher Plant Biology, Genetics, and Biochemistry courses
- February 2018: Internal entrance exams. These special exams, administered by Tel Aviv University, will test the candidates’ academic levels Candidates who pass the exams will be accepted to the MSc program
The program will continue as follows:
- March 2018 - June 2018: First Semester – MSc studies in Arava
- July 2018: Second Semester – Food Safety & Security Summer Institute, will take place at Tel Aviv University and will be taken with other international students
- October 2018 - March 2018: Third Semester – MSc studies continue in Arava
- March 2018: Completion of MSc degree and Graduation
The program is open to excellent students who have completed an undergraduate degree in biology, agriculture, or a related field. Prerequisites include undergraduate courses in plant biology, genetics, and cell biology and a minimum GPA of 80 on a scale of 100, 3.0 on a scale of 4.0, or equivalent (based on US standards). Exceptions may be made in the case of an exceptionally strong application with a lower GPA. Candidates will have a personal interview with representatives of the program from Tel Aviv University and AICAT.
- Open a profile in the TAU International Student Portal and upload required
documents. Student Portal link:
If there is any issue with uploading documents, please contact:
The following documents should be uploaded to the Student Portal by July 1, 2017.
Academic letter of recommendation
Short (one page) essay in English explaining the student’s background, why are they interested in the program, and what they expect to do with the degree once completed
English proficiency exam results (TOEFL or IELTS) if university degree was not taught in English
- Demonstrated Command of English: Since the program is taught in English, all applicants must prove their English-language proficiency validated through a TOEFL or IELTS exam. Please note that scores are usually sent out one month after the exam, therefore students must take the exam ahead of time.
- Interviews: In June, representatives of Tel Aviv University and AICAT will interview qualified students who have submitted the required documents listed.
Program and Application Fee
Total tuition for Preparatory Semester: $850 including health insurance.
Students will cover $850.
Total tuition for the degree in the framework of this program is $15,500.
Students will pay $5,000, and a scholarship will be given to all students for the balance
Students' share of tuition will be paid throughout the program and before its completion.
Students will be able to practice in farms (paid practicum) 3 days per week; the rest of the time will be devoted to studies.
Flight tickets will be paid by the student
Each student must have a laptop
Student must pass a medical checkup
666 người xem