Get an introduction to cultural diplomacy, learning what it means, how it works, and its importance in today's polarised world.
Explore the definitions and methods of cultural diplomacy
What does cultural diplomacy mean? How does it work in practice? What effect does it have in today’s world? Get the answers with this introduction to cultural diplomacy.
You will explore whether cultural diplomacy is about intercultural dialogue and engagement between different countries or whether it could be understood as one type of public diplomacy. You will consider the role of state actors and international organisations as well as that of non-state actors (including types of cultural and educational institutions). You will also consider the emerging EU strategy of cultural diplomacy.
What topics will you cover?
Week 1 – Concepts of cultural diplomacy
- Cultural cooperation
- Public diplomacy
- Soft power
- Transnational cultural relations
Week 2 – Governance of cultural diplomacy
- International organisations
- Cities and regions in cultural diplomacy
- Private actors in cultural diplomacy
- Grassroots international cultural relations
Week 3 – European cultural diplomacy
- Europeanising cultural cooperation
- The European soft power
- The future of cultural diplomacy in Europe
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you'll be able to...
- Explain relevant terms and notions such as those of soft power, cultural cooperation and public diplomacy
- Discuss current geopolitical and economic contexts, and the role that cultural diplomacy plays in the G8 and in the G20 world
- Identify the main actors involved in cultural diplomacy today
- Explore the nascent EU strategy of cultural diplomacy
- Assess specific examples where cultural diplomacy has worked and examples where it has not
Who is the course for?
This course is an introduction to cultural diplomacy for people working in foreign policy, public policy, arts, culture and heritage.
33 người xem